Search This Blog

Sunday 20 October 2024

1807 Augustus Moore with the East India Company writes from Calcutta to his mother in London

 




Click on Image to Enlarge




This is a fairly interesting letter. It draws attention to the very long periods during which, before the invention of steamships, major centres of empire might be without contact with the headquarters of the imperial power. It also highlights the recurrent problems of ill health which expatriates had to deal with, often unsuccessfully.

The internet does not want to help me with providing more context for this letter and even the writer lets me down at a key point when he writes the first name of the Sir  …. Bayley illegibly making it impossible for me to fit someone up for the part of “the most unpopular man in India”.

Such evidence as I can find suggests  that the writer was a Cadet and then an Ensign  with the East India Company and died at Muttra (Mathura) in 1809 and was survived by the brother George who had arrived in India a year before him. George seems to have achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in 1831 and may have married. Some caution must be exercised because the first name and surname are common. The Moore family at 20 Baker Street does not exist as far as the internet is concerned. It’s clear, however, that the father is dead (he is not referred to) and that Augustus’s  unmarried sister Sarah is living with her mother in Baker Street

*

Addressed to Mrs Moore, 20 Baker Street, Portman Square, London

Docketed as received 1 December 1807

 

Calcutta June 8th 1807

My dearest Mother

At last a ship is despatched home & will leave here on the 14th inst. It is a long time since we heard from England & when we shall, God knows. It is now eight months since the last arrived, with news. 

General Dodswell [ William Dowdeswell, 1760 - 1828 ] has taken his passage home on board this ship. It’s rather a chance if you ever receive this as it’s a single ship [as opposed to a convoy]. We cant make out whats become of Lord Minto [ Governor General]. It has been reported several times that he was coming up the river but all unfounded. We are in a sad pickle if a war should break out having no good Kings officer to take the command. Sir ……. [?] Bayley is coming down the country, the most unpopular man in India.  Think of such a man at the head of his Men in War. Not an officer but who despises him.

In this ship there are two Cadets sent home dismissed from the Compy’s service. One I think by applying to the company may get back his commission as it was nothing else that kept him from studying the language but want of ability. The other was a complete blackguard.  I hope this may put a stop to cadets coming out as its only enticing them to run into debt & remain in the clutches of these Black fellows for years before they can pay off the sum. Not to say I am in debt for I can assure you that neither of us [he and his brother George ] are one Farthing in debt. Its one of the most difficult things to keep within bounds on account of the heat of the Climate. But as, thank God, I was never any great ….[?] for parties I am able to keep from the necessaries required on these occasions. I return my best thanks for the books you sent which I rec’d all safe. Books are invaluable here & the best investment a Capt. can bring out. But still they bring out nothing but trash. In fact, there is not a single Article they bring out that’s worth one third of the price they ask.

Geo has had a very narrow escape from losing his right eye but is now quite recov’d. He was overturned in a buggy with McHon [?] who was very much hurt; he fell straight upon his head & bruised himself very much but all is quite well at present. I have no news to tell you except the rainy season is coming on which is my last trial of the seasons here which I hope I may get over rather better than the others which I found rather troublesome to my former complaint. I was advised to take my passage home in this ship but since I have recovered more than I ever have before, under the same complaint, & therefore I have postponed it. If it should continue I will take a trip to sea by the October Fleet but I think I may rest easy as there are not the least symptoms at present. I wont settle upon it until I see the last symptoms nor too late either. Theres one thing it cant stop, my rank here.

Geo. Is very busy packing to go up the Country. He will soon be as far from me as you, so you must not expect letters quite so often. He is going to one of the farthest stations, up the country Bundle Cund [Bundlekhand, northern India, recently added to the Company's portfolio] 1 Reg.N[ative].In[fantry]. He was changed from the 4th.

I hope you rec’d a great deal of benefit from your different excursions last summer & have not failed to make a few this summer. I am glad to hear Sarah found a great deal from her excursion into Shropshire.

I have written this letter in great haste as at present I am in Calcutta but must return to Baraset [Barasat, east of Calcutta] tomorrow & have taken the 1st opportunity for fear I should be too late to write from Baraset. I shall write to Sarah by the same conveyance. I hope Mrs Ward is quite recov’d. It makes me quite uneasy being so long hearing from England. I hope some Ship will arrive soon. Remember us to all friends & join in kindest love to you & all family & am my dearest Mother your Dutiful aff. Son Augustus Moore.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment