Search This Blog

Thursday 3 October 2024

Doctors and Slaves: George Richards writes from Edinburgh to his sister in Barbados 1832 and 1833

 


Click on Image to Enlarge


In two letters dated June 1832 and January 1833 George Richards, a medical student in Edinburgh, writes to his sister Mary Richards (“Mames”) in Barbados. The letters contain interesting information about happenings in Edinburgh, including demonstrations in support of the great Reform Bill of 1832 and his own signature added to a petition in support of the Anatomy Bill of 1832 which permitted teachers of anatomy and medical students to dissect bodies which had been made available by donation. He also introduces a cast of characters many of whom are or are related to doctors practicing in Barbados.  Those doctors and their families appear in the UCL database of compensated slave owners but their holdings are generally small and it seems most likely that these slaves worked in the house rather than on the plantations. In these letters written a couple of years before the abolition of slavery, the writer twice asks to be remembered to the “servants”. The doctors gained their living from working for the sugar estates, treating both the owners but also overwhelmingly the slaves. A man who I take to be George Richards’ father (and now deceased: the letters send love to Mother but Father is never mentioned) gave evidence to an enquiry and I quote a passage to provide context:

Doctors and other persons concerned with the slaves gave evidence before committees of the legislature of Barbados in 18 l 8 and I 824. Though all the evidence favors the plantocracy and cannot be evaluated in the light of counterevidence, it may nevertheless reveal certain experiences of the individuals concerned. George Richards, M.D., testified that he practiced for about eight estates and other properties with a total population of about 2,500. He also had a general practice as physician and surgeon and visited many estates in that capacity.

Richard B Sheridan, Doctors and Slaves (1985, p 301)

The “Dr Hay” now residing in Edinburgh may be the Dr Hay whose life was spared during Fédon’s Grenada rebellion of 1795. “Mrs Collymore” is the Scottish widow of a Barbados doctor, Samuel James Collymore (1786 – 1820s). On the death of her husband Mrs Collymore returned to Scotland with her daughter and the widow is listed in street directories as “Mrs Dr Collymore”. Her pretty daughter of the second letter was Agnes (born 1817) who married John Sturrock of Dundee in 1842; she did not return to Barbados where the Collymore name is still common thanks to the very extensive slave holdings of Robert Collymore and his wife Amaryllis Collymore, a free woman of colour who in an 1826 will left 67 slaves to family members. Other doctors and their families are referred to in the letters and perhaps their most interesting feature is the extensive network of families to which George Richards in Edinburgh is connected and to whom he feels attached; the letter suggests homesickness.

The writer records mail received and sent, a common feature of letters written when mail was slow and unreliable. But he is also making planned use of the Royal Mail Packet Boat service to the West Indies, receiving and sending goods as well as letters. The sailing schedules could be found at post offices or in the newspapers.  

It appears that George Richards has a romantic attachment in Barbados to “M a Misson” which I read as brother to sister shorthand for Emma Misson but who cannot be found online though Misson is a known family name. I cannot find this George Richards  either which may suggest either emigration to a distant colony or early death.

Both letters are tropicalised, fragile and in the case of the second letter with sections missing; damage to the first letter also prevents some words from being read. I have indicated longer missing sections by straight lines, shorter omissions with dots; my own comments in brackets in italics.

 

June 2d [1832] Edinburgh   45 Frederick Street

My dear Mames

I promised in my letter to Sale which Miss Duguid took the charge of that this packet [ HMS Frolic, sailed from Falmouth 14th June 1832] should bring you a letter from me. I have heard from you twice lately and you must consider this an answer to both of your letters. I have also received letters from … M a [Emma?] Misson, Sale and Pearn [ all three members of slave-owning families]. Tell the latter for me that he may count on hearing from me by the next opportunity. I shall also at the same time write to Mr Maynard [slave owning family]. I am glad to see you have done as I begged you would in mentioning the Children, continue to do so whenever you write as nothing gives me greater pleasure than hearing of them. I received the sweetmeats and arrowroot safe and have divided them between Miss Mackenzie and Dr Hay They both of them seemed pleased and the Doctor called on me next day to thank me for those sent him. Whoever prepared the pine jam has destroyed its flavour by spicing it with cloves and cinnamon, the other preserves are well put up.

I wish I had been with you to lend my assistance during your moving but I was glad as I was not [sic] that my place had been so well supplied. Tell Mother [ Possibly Ann Richards formerly Hind] I fancy I stand on the same ground in M a [Emma] Misson’s affections to fear being rivaled by Mr Thomas [slave-owning family]. I am glad to find he is so great a favourite amongst you all. Keep him to his promise and make him bring Jane [Thomas, Daughter of Abigail Jane Thomas?] to pay me the visit which I am looking forward to with so much pleasure. I saw Miss Maria Jones [her father lived in London, later she was Mrs Tierney in St Kitts?] when I was in London, she was a pretty interesting looking girl but even then seemed to be very delicate. I have not heard of Mrs F Cobham’s arrival in Edinburgh [ Mary Harvey Cobham widow of Francis Cobham M.D. of Barbados, slave owner. She moved back to Scotland following the 1831 death of her husband] but when I do I shall call on her. I know her Mother is residing in some street to the South of the Town and I shall some time next week try and find her out.

You will be happy to hear that this town is free from Cholera just now or very nearly so. There were not more than four or five cases this week and I hope there will be none during the next week. I mentioned in one of my former letters that Earl Grey and Brougham had resigned and for some days there was a report that the Duke of Wellington was prime minister. Had it been so I should not have been surprised to have seen England and Scotland in open rebellion. Earl Grey has again accepted office and it is expected that the bill [The Great Reform Bill ] will go through the House of Lords about the middle of next week. When it has passed the people of England, Scotland and Ireland intend expressing their joy by processions, feasts and illuminations. As soon as it was known in Scotland that Earl Grey had resigned and the Reform Act in danger meetings were held to express their sorrow and petitions sent to the House of Commons telling them to refuse supply. There was also a general run on all the banks for gold and a determination to pay no taxes. In a procession of the trades in the town coloured flags were displayed and black flags with inscriptions such as Reform or Death, Better die in a good cause than die in slavery. They had also a flag with a skull and bones painted on it and a motto under it which I do not recollect, at the end of the meeting they sang “Scots wha hae with Wallace bled” and then quietly dispersed.

By my not saying anything of my state of health you may conclude I am quite well. I think rising early and walking to the Botanical Garden every morning before ….  tends to keep me in health. I have also to rise twice a week in order to be at college by six. Dr Reid [probably Dr John Reid 1809 – 1849] has examinations at that hour on what we have been doing the week previous. I must now conclude with love to M a Misson, Mother, Dear Mary, Aunty, Cousins Brothers Sisters the Hinds [ major slave owning family - if the Mother of George Richards is Ann Richards then she was formerly Ann Hinds] and all at home and believe me my dear Mames your affectionate Brother                G Richards.

[Cross-written] I shall be glad of anything you can send me in the way of curiosities provided I have to pay no freight …. no expense for them …. will be a good opportunity to send them by them or anyone coming direct to Edinburgh. Excuse this hurried letter. I am glad to hear both Rob and Tom have got …. and more so as Rob will be near you now. Give my love to him. Remember me kindly to Dr Cutting and his family [slave owning family] and to Mr Maynard and his …. And also to Mr Hinds & I hope Bessy is well again. We have now fine summer weather daylight from half past two in the morning to nine at night. Remember me to the servants.

 

 

Second letter:

Edinburgh January 12th 1833 45 Frederick Street

My dear Mames

Your letter of the thirtieth of November I received only a few minutes ago and I must make haste and answer it immediately as I wish to put this in the Post Office before I go to bed. It is now past eight o’clock. I am glad to see you have written to me again and not taken offence because I neglected answering your former letter. I however scarcely received one from you as this is I believe the third I have received without giving you one in return. Tell Jane I was not aware that the nickel was sent to me by her but to show her that I do not disregard the present I will have it converted to a seal, in the meantime give her a kiss for me and my best thanks. I have _________the flower seeds. I think _____me if they grow and _____desires and once ______heard from me. On the ____Mr Jamieson the ________ after at the Doctors, and Wednesday evening I spent at Mrs Collymore, at this last place we had dancing. The party consisted of about eighteen or twenty young ladies and gentlemen and I passed a very pleasant evening. Miss Collymore is a very nice girl rather pretty about your own age or a little younger and to sum up the whole a Barbadian although she has been from Barbados since she was an infant. The father married in Scotland but died three or four years after his return to Barbados. I have received a good deal of attention both from this family and from the Jamiesons. I have an invitation for nine o’clock on Wednesday next, so I suppose it is to be a dance. It is from a family I have occasionally met with at the Miss Mackenzies [with whom he lodges in Frederick Street]. I have not accepted it yet but I think I shall.

On New Year’s morning I went out with two or three others to see if the old custom was still kept up. There were a great many people in the streets but not many females. The privilege of saluting those you meet is still the same, but I think the custom _________________. We have for the three ___________ yesterday and today ____________the ice strong enough to   ________ [succeed]ed in reaching the op[opposite]______ I went again today but __________not venture on. Only one __________. The ice broke and a boy narrowly escaped being drowned.

You have told me how you like Miss Jane Duguid but now I must ask you to tell me how she likes Barbados and its inhabitants. I am sorry to hear Prescod Williams [ slave owning family]is forced to marry against her will. I hope if it is the case that ways and means will yet be found to break off the match, I am glad to hear Mr Maynard intends writing to me. I have not by the Packet received a letter from him but I hope I may by the next. You do not mention when you are to remove to Warrens [ the name of or named for an Estate just outside Bridge Town] when you do write and tell me ____ you like a country life. You will have company enough ___ and those friends who care about you and have a gig will not mind the short distance of three miles.

Tell Hal [?] I approve of his good taste for I think little Malvina Trotman [slave owning family] the prettiest girl of her age I now recollect of in Barbados. Remember me kindly to Dr Cutting and Mrs Cutting and Mrs Williams. I must write soon to the Doctor when you see Golding and Pilgrim [slave owning family] tell me what you think of them. Dr Jones I believe merely went out for his health and not to remain.

I had when I sat down a good many questions to ask but I have forgotten them all and I have now only room left to give my love to Mother M a [Emma] Misson, Dear Mary, Brothers, Sisters, Aunts, Cousins and friends ever believe me my dear Mames your affectionate Brother George Richards

 

Cross written postscript: When the Higginsons arrive [slave owning family]let me know if the book I sent by her have been of use to Sam and if I have any more he may require. I have nothing new to tell you about the college and the classes. The Modie [? local term for club or union?] of Students here have sent a petition to the Lord Provost and the graduates  praying them to enforce the late Anatomy Bill. I signed it yesterday & hope it may have some effect but I fear not. I am

__________________about her will not enquire her

__________________ free from the Cholera year to now

___________________  this week you mention Sale

_________________ her but you say nothing of Mr

__________________ by the same opportunity tell me

___________________ got his. Remember me kindly to

_________________ servants and once more believe me your affect brother GR

 


No comments:

Post a Comment