Search This Blog

Sunday 6 October 2024

1825 Richard Gurdon Bedingfeld writes home from Assam during the first Anglo-Burmese War

 



Click on Image to Enlarge


Letters home from the front were not censored during this war though this one has been disinfected: there are numerous pin holes and one passage faded probably as an effect of the vinegar used. The writer gives his exact location and a fairly detailed account of his role as a Lieutenant in command of a flotilla on the Brahmaputra river. I have given in bold type this historically interesting account. 

He is clearly missing home and anxious about not receiving letters. There were long delays: this one is dated 26th January 1825 and addressed to his father Francis Philip Bedingfeld (1763- 1841) in Northallerton, Yorkshire. There are no postal markings on the letter before it was brought ashore at Deal in Kent and carried up to London where it received an arrival postmark of 12 September 1825, so almost eight months in transit. There are no arrival markings for Northallerton 

The writer’s mother Catherine died in 1812, so the “Mrs Bedingfeld” of the letter is not her. The family is fairly prominent over a very long period and is all over the internet but with very little about the writer who also appears mis-named Richard Goodson Bedingfeld; spelling of the surname varies with "field" for "feld" but the writer clearly uses "feld".  

The internet  knows about the fate of this young man, twenty-two at the time of writing:

 Lieutenant Richard Gurdon BEDINGFIELD - Bengal Artillery - murdered 2nd April 1829. Murdered at Nunklow, near Gowhatty, Assam, by a gang of bandits. His head was cut off. The gang then besieged the house where Lieut. Burlton was holding out with a few sepoys of the Assam Light Infantry. He was born in Ditchingham, Norfolk 5th Sept. 1802. Son of Francis and Catherine Bedingfield. He served in the First Burma War”.

 

Transcription:

Addressed to Frcs [Francis] Bedingfeld, Northallerton, Yorkshire

Headlined: On the Burromporter [Brahmaputra] River near Aungpore, the capital of Assam 26th January 1825

My dear Father

Since my last from Gohatti I have been anxiously expecting a letter from you but I regret my expectations have not been realised. I hope this will not be the case much longer and that the next arrival will put me in possession of some news from you. I have written to my Brother and Sister two or three times since I had the pleasure of receiving your last letter so that you will have heard of my welfare through them. I was much gratified the other day from Mary written evidently in good spirits. I only hope she has by this time paid you a visit, as change of air and scene are the finest things possible to eradicate what remains there may be of lowness of spirits. She appeared to be much pleased with your offer of meeting her in town and from what my brother said in his letter I should be inclined to think she had availed herself of the favorable season of the year to go down as far as Yorkshire – that abominable place.

Johatti was the cause of my getting unwell with a fever which had nearly obliged me to quit Assam for change of air; fortunately the setting in of the Cold season set me all to rights and thank God I have been i the enjoyment of excellent health and spirits for the past two months.

The climate of Assam is very prejudicial to all constitutions both European and Native owing to the whole face of the country being at present little else than a perfect jungle, the inhabitants being obliged from the Tyranny of the Burmese to run into the Company’s [East India Company’s] provinces to avoid fines, murders & imprisonments. Our detachment has now nearly succeeded in driving them out of the country and in two or three years time under a mild government it is to be hoped the aspect of the country will present a more agreeable appearance than it does at present.

I left Johatti on the 30th of November last [1824] since which time I have been constantly moving up this extensive river which intersects the country and during the rainy season is more to be compared to a little sea than anything else. Its average breadth from bank to bank being nearly four miles.

I have command of the Artillery and a Flotilla of ten gun boats each carrying a twelve pounder Cannonade. I am sorry to say that my services have never been required since I have been in the country since the enemy in this quarter being always more ready to run away than stand a bombardment in their stockades. They are very expert in the construction of these defences which are made of bamboos with a small ditch inside rather than out i which they squat down and fire. The ground in front of the work is covered with spikes made from the Bamboos. These spikes run from two feet to six inches in length and are very formidable as the wounds they inflict disable the men from proceeding at once.

At Rangoon where the war has been carried on since May last [1824] the Burmese find that British Discipline is more than match for overwhelming numbers. They got a terrible thrashing the other day [ final stages of the Battle of Yangon, December 1824 ] and I hope two or three more examples of the kind will make them sue for peace, an event no one can more sincerely wish for than I do, as I have but little hopes of getting out of this country until the war is over.

As far as procuring advantages go I am now very well off nevertheless I would gladly give them up for a change of Climate, as what can be put in competition with a man’s health? And this part of the world decidedly does not agree with me. I never was unwell until I came to Goalpara [Assam] and to my residence at that place I attribute my loss of health. I hope fortune will enable me to visit England when I am entitles to my furlough. I think every young man whose only prospect is living and dying in India ought to take a trip home whenever his allowance may admit of it as the benefit to be derived from it is incalculable.

Is poor old John still in the land of the living if so pray give him my regards. Were I to live a century I should never forget the old man & often remember the many happy days I have passed either fishing or shooting with him. The old boys fine upright figure & snowy head made him look like an old veteran and one that had derived every possible benefit from the instruction of a Drill Sergeant. I hope and trust the Scotts are well and prospering. Give them when you write my sincere regards as I have frequently before said, should I ever live to see England again, one of my first visits should be to them. I am sorry Mrs B. has not written to me although I hope she will put her promise in execution.

Before I close my letter I have one request to make to you and that is to send me the Miniature that you sat for at the time of my leaving England. I have often wished for it and hope you will oblige me with it. I hope you will pay my brother a visit soon, he appears very anxious for you taking a look at his Estate and seeing how he gets on. He has now …. [three lines faded her probably from disinfection vinegar] …. The Army & Navy are both short, and the professions of Law & Medicine are overstocked. India is the only field for a young man with ideas and that I believe is now only to be obtained with very great interest [ I think he means that positions have to be purchased].

I must again repeat how anxiously I am looking for a letter from you and I hope when it reaches me I shall have good accounts of you all. With kind love to Mrs Bedingfield believe me my dear Father

Your dutiful Son

R G Bedingfeld

 


No comments:

Post a Comment