Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 August 2024

JAMAICA 1782 The Marriage of Slave Owner John Scrogie’s daughter with Slave Owner Mary Jacobi’s Son


Click on  Image to Magnify


The letter transcribed below is in fine condition and the handwriting easily read. The internet carries information which supplies most of the missing detail. John Scrogie was a first-generation settler and slave owner in Jamaica living at “Scrogiehall” either in or close to the parish of St Ann’s. At a later date (1792) he was recorded as the owner of 30 enslaved people. He is writing by regular Packet mail to John Plomer, a well-known figure in Northamptonshire, living at Welton Place near Daventry; I can’t establish his relationship with the writer. In very measured terms, he writes about the elopement of his daughter [ who is not named] with George Amos, the son of Mary Jacobi by her first marriage – she has now been twice-widowed; later, in 1792, she is recorded as owner of 49 enslaved people. She lives in St Ann’s parish. The young couple who have married are now in England; nothing clarifies whether they married in Jamaica or in England.

George Amos’s mother intended that he should marry his cousin Miss Catherine Wordie who would indeed have been a good match: she is recorded as dying still single in 1837 and has having been owner of 114 slaves on the Schwalenberg Estate. In contrast, the girl who George Amos has run away with had only ten negroes to her name, according to her father’s letter.

It seems that George Amos did return to Jamaica: in the 1837 Militia list for St Ann’s parish, John Scrogie is listed as Lieutenant and George Amos as an Ensign. But whether he came with  John Scrogie’s daughter, I cannot establish though it seems the most likely outcome: intriguingly a Mary Ann Amos claimed in the 1830s for one slave on St Kitts and is conceivably the same person as the Mary Ann Scrogie who claimed for seven in Jamaica. George Amos is not recorded as making any claim and was presumably dead by then.

 

Scrogiehall Jamaica 11th September 1782

To John Plomer Esqr, Welton near Daventry Northamptonshire

[sent] per packet.

Sir

Your favour of 23d May came to my hand only the 6th Instant having been left at a post office, to which I seldom have an opportunity and is owing to Mr Amos constantly putting St. Ann’s on the address.

I most sincerely feel for his & my Daughters distress, but must own it is what I expected, nor was it in my power to prevent it, having done as much as possibly I could before their departure from this island.

Mr Amos has every reason to believe he was of age [twenty one]  April last [1782], as his now wife & I were invited by his mother [ Mrs Jacobi] the 10th Apr 1781 to drink his health on being twenty years old; and till  they found him fixed in his resolution of marrying my Daughter, to whom they could have no just objection, but that it prevented his union with his Cousin Miss Wordie it never was doubted, but he would be of age April last [1782]. Mr Macauley [a local clergyman presumably] has been dead these ten years, & the present Incumbent told me he had a Letter from Mrs Jacobi his Mother wanting to know if any Register of Births was kept in the parish.

I wave taking notice of his Mother & Aunts behaviour, before & since his marriage, it is too well known here, and looked on in the light it deserves. I have wrote him [George Amos] thrice since his departure, & in each letter pressed him to use every means to be in friendship with his Mother, as there is no evident way, how he can maintain himself & family on returning to this country, without her reconciliation and assistance.

I was bred to no particular employment, but my anxiety to support my Family & love of being independent of my Relations, made me try every means rather than be idle.

Necessity drove me to take up house soon after my arrival in this Island, with my children mostly young & uneducated, nor have I yet cleared off the debts contracted then. With a negroe girl I gave my Daughter & her issue, and others bought with a legacy left her by my uncle, she has now ten negroes young & old which is all she can expect till my death and it would much grieve me to think they must sell them without it put them in an evident way of getting a good livelihood.

Your observation of Mr Amos incapacity of putting his hand to any employment is too true, but also his not being desirous to do any thing to maintain himself and Family much grieves me, & what I dreaded.

I have distantly given him hints on that subject in all my Letters, and as the strain of your Letter breathes benevolence and Friendship, will take the liberty to request your talking or writing to him on that subject in such a way as he may seriously lay it to heart. He is young and healthy, & I know his wife is virtuous and sensible.

Capt King’s behaviour is truly generous; and if any post in the Navy or any other way could be procured for him in Eng[lan]d I see evident destruction of his coming to this country without his Mother’s reconciliation and he ought not in any event to come until he is of age.

I am Sir

Your most obed & hble Servant

J Scrogie 


No comments:

Post a Comment