Search This Blog

Friday 21 June 2024

Clarissa Parry writing from Tavistock Place in 1806 to John Dovaston junior

  



 This is really about how much information is available on Google.  Here is a fairly ordinary letter which I have transcribed and the interpretation of which is aided by the fact that the recipient’s surname, Dovaston, is not common and that the Dovaston in question has his own Wikipedia page as John Freeman Milward Dovaston. Google allowed me to establish that

-          The sender is writing from 30 Tavistock Place though the letter only gives “Tavistock Place”.

-          That the “C Parry” is Clarissa Parry and her father Frederick Parry who is some kind of dispensing chemist and a governor of the “Northern Dispensary”. (It creates only a little confusion that the maiden name of Clarissa Dalloway in Virginia Woolf's novel is Clarissa Parry - though I did wonder if Mrs Woolf living in Tavistock Square had once heard of a Clarissa Parry who over a century before lived in Tavistock Place)

-          That the “Betty” she goes to watch perform in Orestes is the child actor Master Betty whose life story is freely available online.

-          That Mr Foulkes of Hart Street [in Bloomsbury] is an Attorney.

-         That there is a family of sea captains named Bayliff and that the relevant one may have set sail for Bombay earlier in the month in which this letter was written and won’t return until 1807 which may have upset what was being planned.

-          From my own prior knowledge I guess that “Enfield” [in Middlesex] is where a nurseryman supplying plants and seeds is located – but which nurseryman I can’t establish from google.

-          And because I can’t read the word it remains unclear what was causing concern in the conduct of the young man now being lined up for a life on board ship. This is frustrating.

*



Transcription of the letter

Tavistock Place March 27 1806

I think I hear you say what another letter why surely the Girl is mad what can she mean by tormenting me in this manner; seriously D. [Dovaston] I should not have troubled you with this; but you seem to have taken my saying so little about your Cousin Parry in so serious a light that I think it right that you should be undeceived. I did not at the time of writing recollect what had passed at our house between you and I mentioned him as a matter of course. I have the satisfaction of telling you that I believe he has profited by your advice for I do not think he has visited xxxxx [looks like initials or a house number] since; he has dined with us every Sunday he has had to himself the last excepted when he was at Mr Foulkes of Hart Street and came to us in the evening. He seems to have a great desire of going to sea & papa thinks him very steady and fit for business he believes he has it now in his power to send him out with a particular friend of his Capt. Bayliff to be in the line of a purser if his father consents Parry has written on this subject and papa writes today; I hope he will give his consent and I think it will be a good thing for him.

I thought D when you left town it was to study the law and not the art of gardening  however I am glad to find that you practice so much that I have it in contemplation to make you my head gardener We shall expect you early in April and I sincerely hope you will not be troubled with any of your melancholy fits while here

We have been very quiet since my last [letter] having (only) been to the Play once to see Betty in Orestes and to the opera. Papa has not yet been to Enfield and I dare say you will be quite in time to accompany him for he like many others of my friends takes a long time to consider of a thing before they undertake it. All in the House of Tavistock desire their best regards among whom Madam subscribes herself

Your sincere friend

C Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment